In life, there are ups and downs. Some days you feel on top of the world and other times you feel like everything is against you. How you respond to these moments makes a huge difference in how your life progresses. That’s why it’s important to have tools that help keep your head in check when things get hard. Thankfully, we have affirmations—positive statements that help neutralize negative thoughts and boost our confidence. But what exactly are affirmations, and how can they help change your life? Keep reading to learn more…
What is an affirmation?
An affirmation is a positive statement that you repeat to yourself to help change your thoughts and feelings. Think of it like a mini pep talk for your mind. These statements are designed to be used when you notice negative thoughts creeping in. When you notice yourself thinking negatively, you can use an affirmation to help reframe your thoughts and change your feelings.
Affirmations can be used for a variety of different things, such as improving self-confidence, self-love, releasing self-sabotaging behaviors, etc. There are no rules when it comes to using affirmations, which means you can create them for whatever you want.
How do affirmations work?
When you say an affirmation out loud, it activates your paralimbic system, which is responsible for emotions and patterns. Because of this, affirmations serve as a powerful self-coaching tool. When you repeat your affirmations, they get programmed into your paralimbic system and create new neural pathways.
These pathways are responsible for your emotions and patterns. As time goes on and you continue to repeat your affirmations, they become stronger and stronger. Eventually, these pathways become stronger than the old ones, which means your affirmations start to change your emotions and patterns in a big way.
Affirmations are also proven to reduce stress and anxiety. They also help you boost your self-confidence and self-love. By changing your thoughts and feelings with affirmations, they help you release self-sabotaging behaviors and live a life you love.
Change your life with these 7 affirmations
– Affirmation 1: Change Your Thoughts
Thoughts are powerful and can greatly affect your emotions and actions. This is why it’s important to monitor your thoughts and make sure they’re positive. If you find yourself thinking negatively, use an affirmation to change your thoughts and boost your confidence.
– Change your thoughts from: “I’m too stressed to do anything.” to “I can do this. I’m in control.”
– Change your thoughts from: “I’m not good enough to pursue my dreams.” to “I am a capable person who can achieve what they put their mind to.”
– Change your thoughts from: “I’m not good at anything.” to “I am a strong and capable person.”
– Affirmation 2: Change Your Habits
We all have certain habits that we’re proud of and others that we’re less proud of. Habits can be both good and bad, but they can be hard to break. If you have bad habits that you’re trying to get rid of or good habits that you’re trying to create, use affirmations to change your habits and create a better version of yourself.
– Change your habits from: “I procrastinate too much.” to “I am a responsible and hardworking person who always completes tasks on time.”
– Change your habits from: “I often gossip with my friends.” to “I am honest and respectful of others’ feelings.”
– Change your habits from: “I don’t do enough for my community.” to “I am a helpful and supportive member of my community who helps people in need.”
– Affirmation 3: Change Your Path in Life
Life is a journey, and there are many paths you can take to get from Point A to Point B. Some paths are great while others aren’t so great. If you feel like your life path is less than ideal, use affirmations to change your path in life and find a better path.
– Change your path in life from: “My path in life is leading me straight to failure.” to “My path in life is taking me toward success.”
– Change your path in life from: “My path in life is leading me away from my dreams.” to “My path in life is taking me toward my dreams.”
– Change your path in life from: “My path in life is leading me away from what I care about.” to “My path in life is taking me toward what I care about.”
– Affirmation 4: Change Your Relationships
With others, we have relationships that range from casual friendships to loving relationships. Relationships are special, but they don’t last forever. If you’re in a relationship and it’s not moving forward, or if you’re in a relationship and you’re not happy, use affirmations to change your relationships and find new relationships that you thrive in.
– Change your relationships from: “I’m not happy in my relationship.” to “I’m happy in my relationship because we care for each other and support each other through good and bad times.”
– Change your relationships from: “I don’t have a strong relationship with my best friend.” to “I have a strong relationship with my best friend because we care for each other and support each other through good and bad times.”
– Change your relationships from: “I don’t have any close friends.” to “I have close friends because we care for each other and support each other through good and bad times.”
– Affirmation 5: Change Your Self-Image
Your self-image is how you view yourself. It’s the image in your head of who you are and what you think you look like. If you have a low self-image, you view yourself as less than amazing. If you have a high self-image, you view yourself as amazing. You can use affirmations to change your self-image and boost your confidence by seeing yourself in a positive light.
– Change your self-image from: “I am not good enough.” to “I am a strong and capable person.”
– Change your self-image from: “I am a failure.” to “I am a success because I am constantly moving forward and striving to be better each day.”
– Change your self-image from: “I am not worthy of love.” to “I am worthy of love and have something unique to offer the world.”
– Affirmation 6: Change Your Belief Systems
Belief systems are the things that you believe to be true and factual. If you believe something is false, you can use affirmations to change your belief systems and make those false beliefs false once again.
– Change your belief systems from: “Money is evil.” to “Money is an important resource that can help me live a happy and fulfilling life.”
– Change your belief systems from: “I am not worthy of love.” to “I am worthy of love and have something unique to offer the world.”
– Change your belief systems from: “I cannot live my dream life.” to “I can live my dream life because I am capable of anything I set my mind to.”
– Affirmation 7: Change Your Self-Talk
Most of the time, the thoughts you have about yourself are negative. You might say things like, “I am not good enough” or “I am a failure.” When you have negative self-talk, it can lead to low self-esteem and other emotional problems. You can use affirmations to change your self-talk and stop yourself from being so hard on yourself.
– Change your self-talk from: “I am not good enough to do anything.” to “I am a capable person who can achieve what I put my mind to.”
– Change your self-talk from: “I am not worthy of love.” to “I am worthy of love and have something unique to offer the world.”
Be proud of who you are
Being proud of who you are starts with being honest with yourself. This means acknowledging your strengths, your weaknesses, and everything in between. It also means accepting yourself completely. You don’t have to compare yourself to other people or try to be somebody you’re not in order to be happy. Once you are proud of yourself, you’ll find it much easier to be confident in your abilities and proud of your choices.
Be grateful for everything in your life
While it’s important to be honest with yourself, it’s also important to be grateful for everything you have in your life. This helps you find appreciation in the good things, rather than focusing on what’s missing. And gratitude can have a positive impact on your mood, outlook, and even your health. Keeping a gratitude journal, saying thank you more often, and finding new things to be grateful for can help you change your life for the better.
Don’t give up on your dreams
Dreams are what keep us going on some of our darkest days. But what happens when we have to face reality? Many people give up on their dreams because they feel they aren’t good enough. However, this defeats the entire purpose of dreaming in the first place. Instead of giving up, try to find a way to make your dreams a reality. Even if this means making some sacrifices, it’s worth it in the end.
Affirmations are incredibly helpful for changing your life for the better. Start by being proud of who you are and being grateful for what you have. Then, don’t give up on your dreams. Try using affirmations regularly to help change your life for the better. With practice, they can help you stay positive, focused, and confident in your abilities.